TOTOCO Eco-lodge is nestled high on the slopes of the dormant Maderas volcano which boasts an intact full-tropical as well as dry-tropical ecosystem and a high diversity of birds. Add to this the impressive Istian wetland habitat which is a refuge for many different types of aquatic birds and you have an island that is a bird-watchers dream. Totoco can customize a multi-day package for bird enthusiasts with a typical 3-day package looking something like this;
- 10:45am – Arrive on Ometepe. Taxi takes you to TOTOCO Eco-lodge where you are welcomed with a refreshing juice before checking-in to your private lodge.
- 12:00pm – Lunch at TOTOCO. Our chefs optimize the use of local and organic produce and all meals are made from scratch.
- 13:00pm – TOTOCO Tour. This light 2 hour walk over the TOTOCO property will help you get acquainted with your local surroundings and give you full insight into the guiding principles of sustainability that TOTOCO embraces.
- 19:00pm – Dinner at TOTOCO
- 07:00am – Breakfast at TOTOCO.
- 08:00am – Fauna & Flaura Tour. Marlon is a fully trained local guide with years of experience and an encyclopedic knowledge of local species as well as having that all important 6th sense of finding interesting birds while you hike the surrounding jungle.
- 12 noon – Kayaking the Istian Wetlands. The biodiversity on offer in the Istian wetlands includes an amazing variety of aquatic birds, cayman alligators, monkeys and more.
- 19:30 – Dinner at TOTOCO
- 08:00am – Breakfast at TOTOCO.
- 09:00am – Island Tour. With Marlon along for the ride you spend the day visiting at least 4 different sites likely to harbor diverse bird-life; Charco Verde lagoon, Bonafide Permaculture farm and Finca Feliz. There is also a stop at the Natural Springs of Ojo de Agua for a refreshing swim. Lunch is at Cafe Campestre.
- 19:30 – Dinner at Totoco
- 09:00am – Breakfast at TOTOCO
- 11:00am – Check-out. Taxi transfer to Moyogalpa where you depart on the 12:30pm ferry.